Electric Starter: Troubleshooting Without Much Trouble
To troubleshoot any electrical device, one needs to have the basic knowledge about the working of the object and its mechanisms. You will need to first understand the simple things and then go on the complex ones. Same goes with troubleshooting of an electric starter. Electric starters differ in their size and features. There are a few precautions that you will have to take to start the process of trouble shooting as the electric starter battery will be connected through the process.
Following the below steps can help you troubleshoot an electric starter without much problems.
- First of all, to start, connect the electric starter batter by attaching the negative lead of the voltmeter to the negative terminal while the positive lead to the engine. Make sure the engine is off. Always remember to wear safety gloves before initiating the process to avoid in further risks.
- Now that the battery is connected properly, observe the reading on the voltmeter. If you do not see a full charge of 12 volts, then replace it with a new one.
- Now take out the spark plug wire that is connected to the spark plug. Simultaneously remove the spark plug with the help of a spark plug wrench. Make sure to keep the bare end of the wire at a place where there is nothing touching it. Now continue the testing.
- Switch on the switch on the starter and the working of the starter. Observe carefully every part of the starter, the gear, the solenoid and the motor. Replace the part that you think is defective.
- Ensure that the starter motor revolves at a normal speed. If it revolves too slowly then change the starter with a new one. Now check where the solenoid does not make a clicking noise. If it does then replace it too.
- Now that you have successfully checked all the parts and replaced the defective ones, reconnect the spark plug. Ensure that you connect all the parts properly. Switch on the engine and check its working
Troubleshooting an electric starter is not an easy task. But with appropriate knowledge about its working and the parts it possess, one can easily troubleshoot it.